Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Friday, September 1, 2017

Gabriel's Tale - Chapter 8

This month Gabriel finds himself in Beatrix Potter country!  Last year I practiced drawing and painting her characters and have reused the three kittens on Hill Top's rock wall.  The church is drawn from photos I found on the Internet.  It stands just outside Near Sawrey.  Be sure to see my exciting news at the end of this post.  

Last month Gabriel had just come out of the woods to see a barn off in the distance.  He bedded down inside for the night. . . .



Chapter 8 – A New Day



The next morning Gabriel heard the old rooster crow but it was something touching his whiskers that caused him to open his eyes.  It was Sally.  “And just who might you be?” she asked sweetly.  Gabriel quickly jumped to his feet.  “Relax,” she urged him, “I’m not going to bite you!” then giggled.  Gabriel chuckled, too, and soon was telling Sally his story.  “You must be starved!  Wait here.”  Sally went to the back of the farmhouse and scratched at the door. . . .


Gabriel learned that he was outside the village called Far Sawrey and that he should follow the footpath to Near Sawrey where he’d find the road that would take him to Hawkshead.  This would only take him about an hour.  From there he might be able to hitch a ride, she told him, because there were several businesses there that had delivery lorries coming and going.  Gabriel thanked her again and set off along the footpath.



##



Gabriel was soon standing in front of a church going over Sally’s directions in his head:  at the church cross the meadow, follow the path to Wilfin Beck crossing over it on the farm bridge; follow the path alongside the stream, then go through the kissing gate to the left.  This would take him past Hilltop Farm and into Near Sawrey.  There was more, but there was just so much a little white dog could remember all at once.  Gabriel hoped he’d find someone in Near Sawrey who could help him remember the rest of Sally’s directions to Hawkshead.


##


He slowed his pace as he came near a stone wall hoping it was Hill Top Farm.  That would mean he was in Near Sawrey.  As luck would have it three kittens were standing on top of the wall.  Gabriel stopped.  

“Hello there,” he said.  
“I’m Gabriel.” 



That’s when he noticed a hat lying in the road.  “Is this yours?” he asked. 

Two of the kittens exclaimed together, “Yes!  It’s our brother Tom’s hat!”  At which Tom cried, “But I don’t want to wear it!” and promptly jumped off the wall back into the garden.  His sisters apologized for their brother’s rudeness and asked Gabriel if he was new to their village.  Gabriel told them his story and asked for directions to Hawkshead.  Before they could answer, though, several geese came waddling down the lane toward him. 

The kittens told him he should run immediately because the geese would chase him and bite him if he did not!  So he did so they wouldn’t! 




##


As he ran past the Tower Bank Arms Inn Gabriel noticed a collie dog and remembered his run-in with another two days before so he crossed the road into the meadow.  A little Pomeranian puppy named Duchess lay in the grass enjoying the sweet smell of wildflowers trying to forget about the mouse pie she’d accidentally eaten at her friend’s house after all her efforts to switch pies with the one she’d made earlier that day.  “Oh, who are you?” she asked when she looked up to see Gabriel approaching.  Gabriel did not want to take the time to tell his story yet again so he just told her his name and asked for directions, hoping he’d get his answer this time. 

Duchess plucked a flower from the tall grass and waved it in the direction Gabriel should go as she explained where he was to turn right and where he was to turn left.  Soon Gabriel was on his way. 




Now for my exciting news! Ken and I have booked three nights at Tower Bank Arms in May 2018 because we're going to be attending Susan Branch's Bring-Your-Own-Picnic-Basket affair in the garden of Castle Cottage!  You can read about it in her Newsletter Here.

Next Month:  Gabriel finds his way to Hawkshead but not without a little misadventure along the way and more troubles once he gets there.  But don't worry.  He is rescued and once again on his way to Edinburgh.

❤️Take Joy❤️



16 comments:

  1. Gabriel has met so many friendly natives this month! I can see why you immediately booked your stay in the Lake District. It sounds as if that picnic is going to be wonderful! I always like to book things well in advance and then you can dream of it for longer. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the Beatrix Potter Society advertised Susan's picnic I figured I'd better get my rooms reserved or else I wouldn't be able to stay at the Tower Bank Arms overlooking Hill Top. We will be relying on trains and buses and on-foot to get around and will stay the whole 10 days in the Lake District. Now I have to plot out the rest of the trip.

      Delete
  2. First off Gabriel's adventure is darling. Your storyline is quite adventuresome for this little fellow. I remember your drawing of the three little kittens--just like Beatrix's drawing. I can imagine you are going to find much inspiration on your trip in the spring. It's the same time of year we went there. The Lake District means so much to me. So much we will be returning this fall as we celebrate our 50th anniversary. We're also going down to the Devon and Cornwall area. We are so excited and I'm excited for you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha Ellen. I wrote the story so long ago (2009/10) that I had no thoughts at the time of actually visiting the Lake District and staying at the Tower Bank Arms. I always said I didn't want to go because I didn't think I'd want to come home. Susan Branch's picnic tipped the scales for me and gave me the motivation to just do it! This will be our 50th Anniversary trip, too, only our 50th won't be until the following February. I'm excited for your Devon/Cornwall trip and Happy 50th Anniversary to you! This is where I've thought we might go next if we go back again. Are you flying this time?

      As for inspiration, you are absolutely right. I've already written the 2nd story of Poetry & Gabriel's adventures together in Scotland. It ends with the family moving to the Lake District! So now I will take my own photos and use them to write a 3rd story.

      Delete
    2. Cathy we are going to England on the Queen Mary 2 again and returning with her as well. We'll be spending 2 weeks in the Lake District/Scotland areas and 2 weeks in the Devon/Cornwall area. It's going to be the longest trip we've ever taken so far. We have it all planned with maps and spreadsheets just like we did before. It's quite a long time to travel and we decided if we get tired we can always be flexible and rest if needed.
      If we had known that Susan Branch was going to have her picnic at Castle Cottage we may have waited to join everyone then. We've been planning this anniversary trip since last December so the wheels have been in motion for a while.
      Happy planning! ♥

      Delete
    3. Martha Ellen, I would have liked to do a crossing on the QM2 but did not want to be away those extra 2 weeks because of Poetry and Gabriel, as well as our young grandchildren. I have to see them just about every week or else I miss something! You have quite an itinerary there. We are just dipping our toes into travel overseas for the first time!

      Delete
  3. So happy for you & Ken to have that trip to Tower Bank Arms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really enjoying Gabriel's Tale as he travels along his journey.
    So happy for you, going to Susan's picnic. I am sure it won't be too hard managing without a car, they are bound to have good transport as it is such a popular area with many using public transport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so very happy to know you are enjoying Gabriel's travels! I am working on a website where I can post the entire story at the end of the year with my illustrations. I'm eager to share the second story that takes place in Scotland, but can't until I finish Gabriel's Tale!

      Delete
  5. How absolutely exciting that you are going to England! I wish I were going to England... Your illustrations and story are delightful. Dearly love your kittens on the wall and the hot air balloon painting you've been using as an avatar, sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeri! When I have something to copy from I have better results. I'm finding drawing from my own imagination is not easy at all.

      Delete
  6. What a cute story Cathy! I guess I have 7 other chapters to catch up with - or didn't you post all of them? Very creative & of course the fact that Gabriel is bopping around Beatrix Potter country is just the best. What age group are you aiming for? The length & language is definitely beyond little kids, so I'm guessing more along the lines of Harry Potter readers? Maybe like third graders or older? Looking forward to reading the first 7 chapters & of course to seeing more of your illustrations. Really very cute. The grands will be loving it! Especially since they'll all personally know the main character!! Have a great week. Peace.

    #Resist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. I'm just posting excerpts from the stories--the parts I have illustrations for. I consider it an illustrated story book to be read to younger children (4 to 7)--a chapter at a time. I don't think it would appeal to children old enough to read. When I read to Olivia I usually add my own comments or explain things or ask her what she thinks is going to happen--so I would hope an adult reading my story would be engaged themselves so that they'd do the same. I started out the year thinking I'd self-publish but then realized it was more complicated than I'd realized--more than I cared to bother with--so I'm printing it out and putting it in an 8 x 8 photo album. I'd always envisioned taking Gabriel and Poetry to my book signings 😊so I'm a little disappointed about that.

      Delete
  7. Oh Cathy! I'm so glad you are going to Susan's picnic! I'm just thrilled for you! Then, I'll get to read two travelogues! I'm already looking forward to yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that! Different perspectives on the picnic--plus all the other bloggers in attendance, I'm sure, will be sharing theirs. That should be fun. I won't be doing mine, though, until I return home--but then that does give me a chance to see what everyone else does!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.