Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

TA-DAH! Week 4



#4 - Take Time to Listen to Yourself

Loretta says meditation helps us to listen to our inner voice and that there are two basic components to getting yourself to relax:  use a mental focus such as watching your breath or repeating a word/sound or phrase; and second, have a passive attitude toward distracting thoughts.  

In the book I mentioned in an earlier post, "The Untethered Soul--The Journey Beyond Yourself", Michael A. Singer encourages us to step back from our thoughts and just observe them.  We're not to judge them.  I had a recent experience that illustrates this.  Last week I did a post about our weekend in Garrett County.  Going back and taking a look at the post I found I had warmer feelings about the weekend than I did at the time I actually experienced it.  Looking at the post with the pictures and details of our activities was like standing back and just observing my thoughts and feelings.  Because I was just an observer now I did not get tangled up in the disappointment I felt at the time about the rain and not being able to do all the outdoor activities I'd planned.  If I'd thought to step back from my thoughts and feelings at the time, I would have been able to enjoy the activities we were able to do together.  My perspective would have changed.

So your assignment this week is to try meditation if you feel you can, but if not, at least be aware of your thoughts and feelings so that you can step back and just observe them for a few moments to see if your perspective changes.  Remember don't judge your thoughts and feelings.  Just observe.  Report back your findings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.