Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Friday, January 10, 2014

Hot Soup on a Cold Day



I first had this soup at a friend's house in the early 1990's.  It has been a hit whenever I've made it for my guests, so I thought I'd share it here.  
Rene Collmus' recipe called for two cans of kidney beans.  I've reduced it to one and use chili beans.  Also, Rene used plain sausage, while I've used sweet Italian.  In the photo you will see I used a large can of tomatoes because that's all I had and I didn't want to bother having to freeze the extra.  The recipe calls for the smaller 14.5 oz. can.  I discovered that I actually prefer the smaller can....but if you like more tomatoey flavor go with the larger can.  Try the recipe as written, though, so you'll know what it's supposed to taste like because you'll need to adjust the seasonings for the extra liquid in the larger can of tomatoes.  You can also add extra potatoes if you like.  The only thing you shouldn't leave out is the seasoned salt.  I think this is the "secret ingredient" and what makes it a hit!    

I personally think pumpernickel bread goes best with it.  My husband makes the BEST!  Served with bread it makes a meal for four.  The eight-servings would only work as an accompaniment to a meal.

This is my first foray into the world of showing how to cook a dish, so I hope it is not too confusing!  


Sausage-Bean Chowder – Serves 4 to 8

Cook, chopped up, in large kettle till brown: 

         1  lb. sweet Italian sausage

Pour off fat.  Add:

         1  15 oz. can chili beans, drained
         1  14.5 oz. can tomatoes, cut up
         1  quart water
         1  large onion, chopped

Also add:

             1  bay leaf
             1 ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
               ½ teaspoon garlic salt
               ½ teaspoon thyme
                   teaspoon pepper

Simmer 1 hour, covered.

Add:

             ½ green pepper, chopped
             1 ½ cups diced potatoes

Cook 20 minutes longer, covered, until potatoes are tender.  Remove bay leaf.  Great served with pumpernickel bread.


Here is an image of the recipe in case you want to "grab" it and print it out.  Or, you could always copy and paste the typed-out version and print it out that way.

OK, here we go:

Cook, chopped up, in large kettle till brown:  

1  lb. sweet Italian sausage

Be sure to remove the sausage from its casing.  As it browns I cut the sausage into smaller bite-size pieces....

Meanwhile chop the onion....

Once the sausage is done pour off fat then return to stove and.... 

Add:

1  15 oz. can chili beans, drained
1  14.5 oz. can tomatoes, cut up
1  quart water
1  large onion, chopped

By the way, see that can opener?  My husband bought it for me after my index finger needed 4 stitches following its encounter with a sharp lid.  This opener cuts around the rim of the can--no sharp edges!  The added benefit is dust from the top doesn't fall into the food.  It's called a "Smooth-Edge" can opener by Oxo.

OK, after an hour of simmering on the stove with the lid on you should....

Add:
½ green pepper, chopped
1 ½ cups diced potatoes

Cook 20 minutes longer, covered, until potatoes are tender.  Don't forget to remove bay leaf....

AND don't forget the pumpernickel bread!

ENJOY!

Here is Ken's Pumpernickel Bread recipe:


6 comments:

  1. Looks yummy and delicious Cathy! Now you must share your husband's bread recipe. We love soups and stews this time of year. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll see what I can do about getting that bread recipe from him. He said this time he combined two different recipes to come up with this one. It was even more flavorful and soft on the inside and crusty on the outside.

      Delete
  2. You did a great job on the recipe and tutorial. It looks delicious and I could eat soup every day! Good for you to figure out the tabs; I have not done that but you encourage me to try! I enjoyed your house and garden tour--both so lovely! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I glad it was understandable. I just realized I could make a "Recipe" tab, so I'll be doing more favorite recipes as I go along.

      Delete
  3. This soup sounds great, Cathy. I love making soup in the Winter - and I think I'd prefer your Italian sausage idea too. Yum. My sister makes an Italian sausage soup with escarole, white beans and chicken stock that we like a lot in the Winter too. Quick to fix and a really good "meal" soup - just add bread and "dinner is served!" PS - a husband who bakes?? How lucky are you!!! I love pumpernickel and will be sure to try that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! When my husband retired 4 years ago he took over half the cooking and took some cooking classes. Believe me, I know how lucky I am. :-)

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.